The Date

This post relates to my previous post - The Call...

He was with Lyra when his phone began to ring. Without even glancing at the screen he politely put the phone on silence and back in the pant pocket.

"Hey, you didn't even check who was calling", Lyra exclaimed. "It could be important"

"Don't worry. No one is more important than you at this moment", he replied, dismissing her concern. "If it is someone in need, they would call again and then the phone would ring. Smart, that's how smart my phone is", he winked.

"Nerd. Why am I here?" she replied, with a face-palm.

"Haha. You were the one who asked me out. The nerd comes with the package, anyways I'll try my level best to keep the nerd out of this date."
********************************************

He had made plans for the evening which extended well through the night. But none of this planning would happen if not for Lyra. The previous evening as he was leaving from work, Lyra called him from behind. She came up to him and asked, "What's your plan for tomorrow?"

"Nothing. Why?"

"You seriously are dumb. Stupid, tomorrow's valentine's day. Don't you have any plans?"

"Ahh... No."

"I figured that out. I know you like me and I also think it will take you a lifetime to ask me out. Since, I have no plans to sit at home tomorrow. Will you come on date?"

"Yes, yes. Sorry. I.. I.. should have..", he stammered.

"Oh, that's okay. You don't need to apologise. You can make up for this by planning the entire evening after work. So I'll meet you tomorrow, same time, same place. Bye" and she rushed in the opposite direction.

The whole night he sat up, making plans. A stroll through the park, ice-cream, dinner, movie, everything crammed into one eve. It was true, he liked Lyra. From the very day, he stepped into office, he was stalking her, striving hard to get to start a conversation, which he managed after 2 months. But never could he find the courage in him to ask her out. It was probably the fear of rejection. He distinctly remembered his first crush and now his best friend.

He had met her in junior college. They were in the same friend circle and eventually they got close. He did not want to ruin his friendship and so he sent Rahul to find out. Rahul in-turn went and proposed to her, which she obviously rejected. But later in the day, she narrated this incident and how she had planned to marry as per her parents will and not fall in love. It took him close to a month to bury the feelings he had for her. Being best of friends, he always found it difficult to commit to any other being until he met Lyra in UK.
********************************************

After the movie, he dropped Lyra and headed home. On his way back he checked his phone and saw the missed call from his bestie. It was unusual for her to call up in the evening, unless it was important. Why had she not called again?, he mused. He had told her about this. It was late in India, but he still decided to call and check with her. Even if it wasn't important, he felt obliged to tell her about today. As the call was being connected, his excitement rose. How happy she'd be for him.

When she finally picked up, he started, "Hello. Hey were you sleeping? Sorry to disturb you so late."

"It's okay. I wasn't sleeping"

"Strange. Anyways, why did you call earlier? I guessed it must be important. Be quick, even I have some exciting news to share"

"Uhh... Nothing. You say."

"Hey, you called first. Go on. Why do you sound strange? Is everything all right?"

"Ye.. yes. Everything is good", she replied hesitantly.

"I know you pretty well. Speak fast. You are scaring me."

He heard a deep sigh on the phone and then, "I like.. I love you", came her voice.

His legs rooted to the ground, unable to process anything, he instinctively disconnected. Oh shit! Oh shit! What did she say! This must be a joke. I should call her back. God please, let this be a joke- he thought. A few taps on the screen and the phone was connecting back to the previous call.

Casually laughing he said, "Hey, this is a prank right. You must be kidding right"

There was silence for a long time and then finally he heard her say...

What did she say. Did she confirm her feeling or discarded it as joke. How do you want to proceed, let me know in the comments. 

Comments

  1. The next part soon, please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try my best to get it soon. Any suggestions on what should happen next?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The One With The Coastal Ride

Kasarsai Dam and Beyond

Team Infy @ Alibaug and more...